Exercises to get rid of love handles – Love handles truthfully are not Loved! This is because they are just fats that sit in your abdominal area, making it almost impossible to wear your skinny jeans.
It is even worse because it can be challenging to get rid of because of its position in the body. It is a myth to think that regular ab workout can get rid of it.
Love handles lie on top of the obliques, which are a particular group of abdominal muscles. To work those parts, you have to target them precisely with specific exercises to get rid of love handles.
A good and balanced combination of targeted love handles exercises and love handles diets can help get rid of side fat and love handles.Give yourself the power to eliminate those love handles. This article exposes you to exercises that help you get rid of love handles specifically.
What Causes Love Handles
The major cause of this is the accumulation of fat over time. This happens when your body takes in too many calories or you don’t burn as many calories as you consume them. They eventually accumulate in visible areas such as your waist and hips.
There are several factors that contribute to this. They are:
This plays a major role in the development of love handles. Your belly is more likely to accumulate a lot of fat as you age or grow older. This is because your body begins to lose muscle mass causing excess calories to get stored in the belly.
- Hormonal Changes
Sometimes you can develop excess belly fat, side fat and love handle as hormones change. For example, fat gets stored in women’s belly as their estrogen level drops during menopause.
- Lack Of Exercises
You consume a lot of calories every day and most times just lie around without involving in any form of exercise or activity. This tends to make fat store up in your belly area.
Engaging in basic cardio activities such as cycling and running will go a long way in helping you lose calories. People that have a poor sleeping pattern, that don’t get enough sleep at night are more likely to develop excess belly fat.
This is a major cause of excess side fat. Stress causes your body to create excess cortisol. It is a hormone in the human body that makes the body store excess calories in the belly area as fat.
- Poor Diet
This is one of the most common and obvious causes of love handle and muffin top. Constantly taking sugary drinks and foods could lead to the development of belly fat.
- 8 Best Exercises to Burn Upper Belly Fat
- 10 Best Cardio Workouts at Home For Belly Fat Burning
- 7 Impressive Kettlebell Exercises for Total Body Toning
8 Best Exercises to Get Rid of Love Handles, Back Fat And Build Toned Muscle
Below are different best-targeted exercises to get rid of love handles fast. It is very necessary to exercise your body to get rid of side fat and lose love handles.
Eating the right diet is important when it comes to the issue of getting rid of love handles and back rolls in your body. You should eat regularly and never skip meals because you will require much energy for the exercises.
1. Bicycle crunches
Top of our list of exercises to get rid of love handles is bicycle crunches. This is because it helps you tone your stomach while particularly eradicating love handles.
- Lay flat on your back position, your hands behind your head
- Raise your legs so that they are 1–2 feet above the ground
- Bend your left knee and bring it toward your head
- Then, twist your body so that your right elbow meets your left knee
- Now, straighten your left leg and do the same thing on the other side, touching your right knee to your left elbow
- Do 15-20 of these for one rep, increasing reps as you get stronger.
2. Russian twists
This twist appears to be slightly easier to do than traditional crunches. However, it focuses mainly on strengthening your love handles to reduce the inherent fat.
- Sit on the ground with your back straight and your feet extended out in front of you
- Bend your knees slightly and keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Bend backward slightly so that your back is at a little less than 90 degrees
- Hold a 5-10 pound dumbbell in your hands and twist your body toward the left, lowering the dumbbell halfway to the floor
- Bring your body back to the original position, and then do the same thing on the right side.
Repeat this 20-25 times daily for two weeks, and you’ll see why it is trusted as one of the best exercises to get rid of love handles.
3. Side Planks
This exercise is great to help tone your core, and with the modifications made to it, it targets your love handles effortlessly.
Here’s how to do this exercise:
- Start off in a side plank position with your right elbow supporting you, and your left arm resting on your hips
- Make sure that your body is straight, and hold the position for 30-60 seconds.
- Repeat on the other side with your left elbow supporting you.
You can switch a few times between sides.
4. Total Body Toning Exercises
Yoga and pilates are activities that help you to tone up your entire body. They strengthen your muscles and help you produce long, lean muscles.
This type of exercise is useful for those who do not want to be tagged bulky or round. Yoga workouts were particularly acclaimed and recognized as exercises to get rid of love handles.
5. Aerobic Exercise
Aerobic exercises are cardiovascular exercises that not only improve your overall health. Rather, they also help to burn overall body fat, hence becoming one of the best exercises to get rid of love handles.
There are a wide variety of aerobic exercises that can be done. You can try jogging, walking, biking and or kickboxing. To get rid of love handles, you should get at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercises in daily.
However, if you don’t have enough time for a formal training, then, try to incorporate more activities into your everyday lives.
Woodchopper is an exercise that specifically targets the abdominal region of the body. They are relatively easy to do.
- Using one weigh hand, stand with your feet hip-width apart with your weight on your left leg
- Start by holding the weight in both hands up to your left shoulder
- Next, twist to make a chopping motion down to your right hip
- Allow your feet and knees to pivot with the twist
- Raise the weight back up to your left shoulder
Repeat for 20 reps and then work on your right side.
7. Try These Modified Push-Ups to Work Your Abs
Push-ups are not just on the list of exercises to get rid of love handles; they also give you a stronger upper body. The exercises strengthen and tone your abdominal.
They are even regarded by some people as the perfect exercise to get abs, even though it depends on doing them correctly.
If you want to target your love handles in particular, while doing a push-up, try the following modifications:
- While in plank position, pull in your bellybutton. This is because your belly button is attached to your transverse abdomen.
- This is the inner sheaths that, that inner sheath that holds your gut inside and gives your spine and vertebrae an excellent, weight belt-tightening type of support. By doing this, you begin to contract that deep inner transverse abdominal muscle.
- It is similar to trying to stop urinating in the middle of the flow. This squeeze will allow you to feel and focus on your abdominal muscles.
- Try a push-up dumbbell row. Start at a dumbbell weight suitable to your current level of strength and fitness and progress into higher weights as you go along. Place the dumbbells at a 45-degree angle; pull in your bellybutton; draw up your lower pelvic muscles (Kegel squeeze), and breathe in as you lower your upper body to the floor.
- Breathe out on the way up, and once your arms are in the fully extended position, perform a row — pulling the right dumbbell up toward your chest. On the next push-up, pull up with your left.
These advanced techniques will work your abs from side to side, and target those deep core muscles as well.
8. Standing Oblique Crunch
The Standing Oblique Crunch targets the obliques, transverse abdominis, multifidus, and rectus abdominis. Being that this is a standing exercise, it makes your muscles activate to stabilize the body when balancing on one foot to lift the leg to crunch.
Depending on the difficulty level you wish to achieve,
- lift one leg and keep it lifted throughout 10-20 repetitions, then switch sides
- If you wish the difficulty level to be lower, tap the lifting foot down between repetitions
Do 3 sets on each side.
So, if at one time or the other, you have felt embarrassed as a result of the erring love handles on your belly, I’m sure that you will feel better strengthened after trying these exercises. If you are still just struggling with it, don’t fret, these tips will help you! Do have a blast trying them out.
If you have any questions or contributions on easy ways leave them in the comment box below. And don’t forget to share this post with friends.