How to Get Rid of Knee Pain Fast – Have you been feeling sharp pains in your knees that make you lose the strength to walk or even wake up?
An average person walks about 5900 steps per day which are about two and a half miles. That’s one of the reasons why knee pain is increasingly on the rise. This means that man’s need for movement is fast becoming a burden on our health.
knee pain is one of the common types of general joint pain. Most of the time treatment for knee pain vary depending on the cause and age of the person that is suffering from it.
The best exercises and proven home remedies as stated for knee pain will help relieve any issues you have with your knees and make your day a little brighter with lesser pains.
According to statistics, about 100 million Americans suffer from Knee pain (11), and it is the second most common source of pain. Between 15 and 20% of men experience knee pain while women rate is estimated at 20 %.
What Causes Knee Joint Pain?
Knee joint pain is never really a result of a single cause. While temporary knee pain, which is caused by an injury, usually fades away on its own, chronic pain in your knee could be due to certain underlying causes that need to be treated.
The causes of knee pain are associated with many health problems which include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid, arthritis, and an unhealthy diet, lack of vitamin D, knee injuries and surgery-related complications.
However, it is also traceable to a wide range of activities such as sport, recreational activities, slips, and falls, accidents, etc.
This further emphasizes the reality that there is a need to take care of your health. Also, it is necessary to learn how to get rid of knee pain fast when it strikes, because this type of pain appears unannounced and gets unnerving.
Therefore you have to be as prepared for it as possible so as not to get incapacitated.
How to Get Rid of Knee Pain Fast and Naturally
No matter what the cause of your constant knee pain is, the following remedies can offer relief to a great extent. These remedies can help relieve knee joint pain easily. However, to maintain their effect, you can incorporate the following tips into your lifestyle.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Wear proper fitting shoes.
- Warm up before you exercise.
- Indulge in low impact exercises.
- Do not decrease your physical activity.
- Practice yoga.
- Try Tai Chi.
- Follow a healthy nutritious diet.
1. Coconut Oil for Knee Pain Relief
The primary benefit of coconut oil is that it relieves pain naturally and incredibly fast.
- Heat a single cup of coconut oil
- Apply the coconut oil while it’s lukewarm and massage knees with it.
The reason why this works is that it stimulates blood circulation. It also manages to lower the knee pain as well.
2. Epsom Salt for Joint Pain Relief
A lot of people learn how to get rid of knee pain fast with help of the Epsom salt. This is because Epsom salt has magnesium sulfate. It is a compound used to lower chronic knee pain.
- A large bowl
- Warm water
- 1/2 cup of Epsom salt
- Take a large bowl of warm water and add a half cup of Epsom salt,
- Stir it properly,
- Soak the joints in this water for at least 15 minutes.
You will have great relief almost immediately after.
3. Olive Oil for Knee Joint Pain
Olive oil does a good job regarding lubricating joints. It’s a good tip on how to get rid of knee pain fast as it soothes arthritis pain extremely fast.
You just get a cup of olive oil and apply it directly to that portion of your body that hurts.
Here, you should massage your entire knee with olive oil and let it soak in.
4. Turmeric for Knee Pain Treatment
This is used by a lot of natural health remedy enthusiasts to remove knee pain. Turmeric has curcumin, a compound that helps remove arthritis fast and easy.
- Warm water
- Boil a few cups of water,
- Add 1 Tsp of turmeric to boiled water,
- Simmer it for 20 minutes.
- Add some honey
Drink it two times per day to get the best outcome.
5. Best Exercises for Knee Pain and Swelling Relief
Although it sounds counter instructive, the best way to get rid of knee pain fast is to exercise. Knee pain can make movement hard, but with the right exercise, you can lower the pain.
According to the British Medical Journal (12), for individuals with severe knee pain, supervised exercise therapy is more effective in alleviating pain and improving function than usual care.
Simple movements will be more than ok. Don’t opt for weights, football, or any activity that can lead to strains.
1. Supine Hamstring Stretch
How To :
- Lie on the floor with your back straight and place one of your on the wall or door, while you stretch out the other on the ground.
- Pinch your way forward for a deeper stretch or backward for a more relaxed stretch.
- Hold in this position for 10 or 15 slow and deep breaths.
- Change sides and use the other leg that was stretched out on the floor for the second procedure.
- Alternatively, you can use a belt or yoga strap to stretch your hamstrings.
- To get the best out of this best exercise for knee pain, you need to make sure that your spine is stable and lies horizontally to the ground.
2. Lunging Hip Flexor Stretch
How To :
- Kneel on one knee and place the opposite foot in front of you, with the thigh parallel to the ground.
- Move forward to stretch your hip toward the ground.
- To make sure you work your hip flexor nicely, tighten your butt for a more intense feeling that will help relax your muscles.
- Reach up with the arm of your bent knee for a deeper stretch then switch sides to exercise the other leg.
3. IT Band Foam Roller Stretch
How To :
- This best exercise for knee pain helps relax your quads as they tighten up from sitting too much.
- Lie down with your front facing down and rest your right leg quad on the foam roller while you support your upper body with your arms.
- Place majority of your body weight on your right leg and roll up through the thighs on the band foam roller.
- For a more effective stretch, roll your leg from side to side as you focus pressure on the tighter spots of your muscle. Hold for 8-10 breaths.
- Switch the legs and hold for 8-10 breaths.
4. Figure Four Glute Stretch
How To :
- Lie on your back and cross your left feet over your right quad, just above the knee, and bend your right knee.
- Hold the heel of your right leg and gently pull it towards your chest until you feel a good stretch on the leg. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Switch to your right leg and follow the first two procedures for a good stretch.
- The four-figure flute stretch is the best exercise for knee pain as it works the muscles responsible for rotating the hips that have an immense effect on the knees.
How To :
- The step-up is very similar to the calf raise but it is more of aerobics that works your whole body.
- Find a step bench or steep staircase for the exercise. Step up onto the staircase with your right foot and tap your left foot on the staircase and lower. Repeat several times then put your legs together.
- Step up onto the staircase with your left leg and use the right one to tap on the upper part of the staircase and repeat several times, then fall back.
- Repeat for as long as you can, switching the legs.
- To do this best exercise for knee pain in the right manner, you need to make sure that your knee is directly above your ankle.
Many people are magnesium deficient due to poor dietary habits. Long-term deficiency of magnesium can impact your immune system and create hormonal imbalances and changes in the bones.
Adding more magnesium to your diet is essential. It is necessary to take a daily dose of magnesium for better growth of the bones. Magnesium lowers the biomechanical responses in your body.
It helps to relax the muscles and nerves, not to mention it also contributes to dealing with overall muscle stiffness. Results of magnesium deficiency are osteoporosis, arthritis, and joint pain.
You can either improve your diet with magnesium filled foods like nuts (e.g., cashew), beans or leafy greens (e.g., spinach or black beans), or you can take magnesium supplements. In case of pains, you can use magnesium spray at least twice a day for relief.
7. Ginger Tea for Pain
Just like turmeric, ginger tea is full of antioxidants that help you deal with knee pain extremely fast. The recipe to use is similar to the turmeric tea.
- One tsp of ginger
- Boil a few cups of water
- Add one tsp of ginger to it
- Simmer the compound for 20-25 minutes.
- Strain it and add a bit of honey.
Note: You can add turmeric as well as ginger for a better result.
If you do that and drink the result two times per day, the relief will be downright extraordinary. According to recent research, ginger extract is very effective in reducing symptoms of Osteoarthritis of the knee.
Tears to the ligament, Sprains, and even genetics are widespread ways of getting knee pains. Regardless of how you ended up with knee pain, these home remedies help you heal quickly and easier.
You don’t have to turn to the use of drugs each time you feel pains in your knees. One thing is sure, all these seven home remedies for knee pain are beneficial.
Though the above remedies and exercises provide relief, f your knee aches or has swollen or become red and tender to touch, consult a doctor without further delay to find out if there is an underlying cause for your condition.
Cheers to a healthy Life!